Tuesday 3 November 2020

Update and Explanation

Wow, it was 2015 when I put this blog together, hey?

Seems like quite some time ago now, and oh my the revelations in between now and then, tee hee!

I made this blog for three basic reasons:

  1. I had thought about putting some of my academic work online for a number of years before getting up the motivation to actually do it. I discussed it often enough--the subject matter--online over time that I figured it'd be a quick and easy way to illustrate some of my points--things I'd already established in work previously done. In my head I probably would have simply copied and pasted my papers and not included things like grades and abstracts, but my motivation to actually put this site together and include such things were because of the next two reasons for creating this blog, so 

  2. I was applying for a grad program at the University of Victoria here in BC, and I figured why not really try to wow them with my application, and they kind of care about things like grades from previous work, so there's that, and finally

  3. I had, over time with respect to my online interactions with some people, come into contact with a few, well, not "haters" per se--they were intelligent people, at least it seemed to me, but they were also, hmm...I guess "dogmatic" might be a reasonable word to use here, at least in some ways--but simply people who were a little incredulous at some of the things I would write and they would demand of me my qualifications, "where's your peer-reviewed articles," they'd ask, for example, as if "peer-review" is some flawless process that automatically grants authenticity to the work of the one being reviewed by it. Yeah right. The standard problems of peer review aside, have you ever tried to get something peer-reviewed that represents a cross-disciplinary scope whose content goes quite a fair bit beyond what most people working in a single related field are able to cope with? Well let me tell you what happens: rejection due to the limits of the peer-reviewers' comfort zone, that's what. So to these people--the ones who needed to see my peer-reviewed material, well here it is.

There was much more I wanted to say here--that I had written earlier this year: about academia, about that grad application, about A & ~A, numbers, and other related matters--but it is long and needs editing and I can't be bothered with all that right now. So maybe I'll get around to all that and maybe not. In the meantime, I simply wanted to reintroduce the blog to potential readers so they might understand why this site exists in the first place.

All the best on your journey of knowing thyself.

EZO, 2020--the year of many changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can post and all comments are moderated. You can post anonymously if you'd like, but unless your comment is of a high caliber, I'd prefer you at least use a recognizable name or handle. If your comment adds to the ideas presented, expands upon them, or offers constructive criticism and encourages philosophical dialogue, then it will likely be added. If it does none of these things, then it will probably not be added. If your comment requies a response, then it will likely not be added until such a response is formulated. Thank you for your time and attention.